Since I’m using the i3 window manager I’ve been tweaking it to fit my needs till now. Sure this process will never come to end, but I want to share with you my current config. I’ve copied many useful things from other configs and added for myself some settings which might be useful for you. Feel free to copy some parts into your own config or to change some settings.
Here are some changes I would like to highlight:
- I’ve downloaded and moved the .ttf file of FontAwesome 4.7 into my fonts folder in ~/.fonts. This allows me to use icons for my workspaces and my i3blocks status bar (not showing here because I’m not loading FontAwesome on this website).
- dmenu shows at the bottom of the screen.
- All my applications find their place on my five workspaces (browser, file manager, terminal, editors for coding and normal text editors like libreoffice, Texmaker).
- When I suspend my computer I start a script which takes a screenshot, applys a blur effect on it and shows it at lock screen.
- For my Lenovo T460 I’ve defined some key bindings which allow me to lower or raise the volume by 3% or my screen brightness by a custom step size.
- Caps lock acts like the shift key.
- My Logitech MX Master was really slow without any settings. I’ve increased the speed with xinput and set a custom coordinate matrix which helps a lot.
You can find more info in the comments of my config below.